The events of the year flowed quickly as a result of acceleration, the increase of light and energy; however, the rapid flow of consciousness – and time – will slow considerably during the month of April when many planets move into retrograde. The “backward” motion of the planets offers a time of reflection, correction, and readjustment in accordance with the dictates of the inner self. Think of it as a time to go underground and reflect on life before coming to the surface with a sense of renewal and purpose.
Fortunately, there are positive aspects in April such as Venus in Pisces, joining Neptune and Chiron, which offers the opportunity to heal wounds and move into mystical love. Only the Sun – instead of four planets — is close to (or conjunct) Uranus in Aries, softening the rapid, sudden change in our inner and outer world. Additionally, April’s full moon will bestow positive energy.
Five retrogrades allow time to linger and look at the landscape of life. Everything will seriously slow its pace. The planets will gift us with time to contemplate the steps that led to our current geography—and even more time to retrace our path and alter the course of our travels.
Mercury (communications, travel, electronics) moves retrograde from April 9-May 3, marking a time of review as opposed to action. It’s fine to work on existent projects, but it’s not a good time to begin new ones. The rule for Mercury retro is to review communication, expect breakdowns with electronics, and act in a patiently with delays. (Mercury will move from Taurus to Aries, so this retrograde involves “fire” including passion, temper, and impatience.)
Traditionally, Venus (beauty, love, feminine) in retrograde brings our fears and issues about relationships and love to the surface. But Venus is exalted in Pisces (water=emotion) and conjuncts (close to) Chiron, the wounded healer. It points to the possibility of mitigating karma through relinquishing lower beliefs and focusing on a new realm of opportunity. (Neptune, symbolizing illusion and idealism, is also in Pisces. Venus’ placement in the same sign, indicates that positive use of the imagination can bring in a new reality.)
Saturn (karma, limitation, time) in Sagittarius moves into retrograde on April 6, and it can bestow a heavy, weighted feeling to particular aspects of life — depending on what changes are needed in our personal lives. Saturn retrograde pushes us to say “no” to the aspects of life (and people) that are not working. It’s about releasing commitments, which cause frustration and unhappiness. Ultimately, it’s about making changes to achieve inner growth.
Jupiter (good fortune) remains retrograde through June 8. Jupiter retrograde in Libra involves examining areas of happiness, growth, and wealth to create balance. It’s a good time for spiritual reflection and listening to the inner self. For example, it may be a time of becoming convinced that we truly want our relationship, particular direction with work, or lifestyle—and knowing they are a source of happiness.
Pluto (underworld, transformation) retrograde can increase our capacity to regenerate in any area of life, particularly if we are willing to look at our inner issues that hidden beneath problems and/or lack of results. Pluto’s regenerative ability applies to the body, inner psychology, and spiritual nature.
Overall, April is a good month to examine our limitations in love and our ability to use thought to transcend limitations of the mind and mass consciousness. The mind tends to repeat our beliefs in response to particular stimuli. Through the use of love and will, we can alter both thought and emotion, which can create harmonious change.
Notes on Aspects:
- Among the stronger aspects, Venus squares Saturn, which can involve releasing karma relating to love and relationships (thoughts, emotions, and beliefs traveling in the wrong direction.) On the whole, universal love is quite a bit stronger than a negative aspect, and Venus is LOVE. By focusing on universal, mystical love, we can move into a higher vibration.
- Jupiter opposes Uranus. When Jupiter and Uranus are in opposition, it gives the desire to start anew and leave behind current restrictions and structures. It’s probably best to create small adventures and avoid “huge” changes—when several planets are retrograde.
- Mars and Pluto trine (harmonious) on April 6, increasing charisma and the desire to succeed. Both planets are placed in earth signs, giving power to alter our outer life.
- Jupiter opposes Pluto, which can magnify the desire for success and power. It’s fine to move into achievement and success if it’s based on the heart—but not for purposes of the ego.
- Despite the retrogrades, there are many fine energies for developing a stronger connection with the inner self and moving into a place of love divine.
Julia Griffin, intuitive healer and owner of One True Self, began her work fifteen years ago under the tutelage of real wolves. Following their direction, Julia sees and reads energy, including animals, plants, and people. She works with people in session to find their resonance with the soul, clearing patterns and creating alignment with their inner path.