The Heart lies at the center of our being. The soul speaks through the heart and gives loving guidance. In metaphysics, the first true awakening comes through the heart center. Knowing and listening to our heart is a powerful tool. Here are five good reasons for working with this powerful center.
1) Truth and love flow through the heart. It is how we feel our alignment with the universe. The head generates many thoughts and ideas, but we feel their value through the heart. We move into a space of love by listening to the heart. We can actually weigh ideas through the heart. “Listen” and “feel” through the heart. Does the idea make your chest expand or contract? (For a year, I used this practice by asking if a thought came from the heart or not-self.) The universe speaks through the heart.
2) We receive and generate love through the heart space. We can ask for love or pink light. We can imagine a ray of pink light entering our chests and healing our body, emotions, and thoughts. When we feel love, we naturally radiate it out into the world. The heart space provides connection with ourselves, one another, and the universe at large.
3) We can discern between personal truth and non-truth by listening to the heart. There is a light, warm, easy feeling when thoughts resonate with the heart. (We feel other thoughts in the head or pelvis area—the ones not resonating with the heart.) The heart moves us toward our dreams. The heart also tells us when there is dissonance in our environment because there is an uneasy feeling. It’s helpful to ask what can be changed and if we can take an action. Sometimes, the action is as simple as sitting outdoors or taking a break.
4) The heart provides balance. Positioned in the center of the chakra system, it balances the physical chakras and spiritual chakras. As human beings, we have many desires at a given time. By listening to the heart, we can create a balance between physical routine and spiritual practice. The word “heart” is an anagram for earth. As spiritual and physical creatures, we balance between our spirituality and physicality through the heart.
5) Passion is one of the biggest and best reasons for opening the heart. Passion pulls us into expression, enthusiasm, and ecstasy. The heart delights in the sensations of love and life. Through the heart, we experience expansion of life. We find the words, images, or actions to reflect beauty and joy. We find the courage to inspire, go forward, and express our gifts. (It’s not enough to push through life!) Passion is magical and energizing!
NOTE: One of my favorite quotes is “As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is” by James Allen, who wrote a small, important book on the subject. We feel our soul through the heart–connection, right direction, and intuition come from this place. It’s helpful to focus on the heart and ask if your desire, thought, or inclination comes from the heart. You don’t have to change anything, but listening will change your life.
Julia Griffin, intuitive healer and owner of One True Self, began her work fifteen years ago under the tutelage of real wolves. The wolves taught her that true energetic motion is based on the soul and patterns of nature. Following their direction, Julia sees and reads energy, including animals, plants and people. She works with people in session to find their resonance with the soul, clearing patterns and alignment with their inner path.