Connection with the inner self involves daily effort. When we are truly connected, we feel inspired and energized. Conversely, our efforts during difficult times can lead us more deeply into the light of the soul. Making an effort is important—even when we feel it isn’t working. It always works, but it can take time before we notice the shift.
The inner self is the one possession, which no one can take away. It brings strength, direction, and unconditional love as well as insights into the universe. Everything in life alters in its “light.”
Here are a few tips for inner discovery:
1) Begin with a light hearted feeling. Think about what makes you feel happy and energized. Recall activities, people, and scenery. The feeling comes from connection, but it also comes from people, places, and nature—and the energy they exude. By determining common factors in the energy, you discover more about the inner self.
2) Change your attitude. Decide to find the part of you, which is attuned to happiness, lightness, and higher consciousness. Everyone works to find happiness; they work with more intent to maintain a positive intent. Address and find the positive in life. (Observe the negative, and develop an awareness to change these aspects of life. Don’t dwell on it. Notice and let it go.)
3) Ask to go deeper and experience more when you meditate. The intent behind meditation can lead to realization of universal truth. Intent can also involve release from emotion, compassion, insight into life issues, and freedom from burdens in life. Interestingly, the desire for realization of the true nature is very effective—and often gifts us with both release and direction.
4) Focus on the heart by feeling love. Love is expressed in many forms, but it’s helpful to meditate on the unconditional love provided by the universe as well as pure forms of personal love such as love for a child, pet, or flower. (Notice how you feel when you experience love. By focusing on it, you open to receiving more of the desirable.)
5) Ask good questions. How would it feel if you lived life from a deepened spiritual state? How would life change? What you lived with alignment with the energy composing your life? What if your heart stayed open to goodness and love? Can you imagine the substance of your desire?
6) Awakening bestows special gifts. Notice the goodness your presence brings to others. By noticing subtle changes in others, you can develop your gifts. (It’s also helpful to notice the people who bring light into your life—and the special feelings wrought by their gifts. Awareness helps in developing gifts.)
7) Pay attention to moments of happiness, lightness, or joy. We tend to give more energy and attention to the negative in life. Move beyond this tendency by giving more attention to the good. Notice the physical body, the placement of the mind and emotions, and the beauty. Many sublime moments are rooted in simple experiences. (Expand the beauty, sensations, and interaction. When the soul is involved, life becomes lovelier in a thousand ways.)
Julia Griffin, intuitive healer and owner of One True Self, began her work fifteen years ago under the tutelage of real wolves. Following their direction, Julia sees and reads energy, including animals, plants and people. She works with people in session to find their resonance with the soul, clearing patterns and alignment with their inner path.